Skip to main content

How To: Clean Your Makeup Brushes


So, I’ve been meaning to make this blogpost for like ever, but to be fair I hate cleaning my makeup brushes. I actually used to never wash them because I didn’t even think about it, but as I started using makeup every day and got a lot more makeup brushes I realized that those things are carrying old makeup and skin oils and bacteria and that’s not good. I now clean my brushes on a semi-regular basis and if I start to break out I make sure they are spotless. 

If you’ve never cleaned your brushes before because it just seems like too much work I have a trick for you that will make the process a lot easier. I got this idea from a Korean YouTuber called ssin (they have English subtitles if you want to check them out. Makeup woo!) and it is literally one of the best ideas ever. 

The things you will need to clean are a bowl, a small strainer and some liquid soap. I used bar soap for the picture because it looked better than a soap bottle, but don’t let that throw you. Now, take all of your supplies and your brushes to the sink. Put your strainer inside of your bowl and fill the bowl with water, only to where the water just peeks above the strainer. Next, add a pump of liquid soap and mix it in. Or put the soap in before the strainer… Whatever you want. 

Now take your brush of choice and rub it over the strainer. You don’t have to be violent, but don’t be too gentle either. If your brush sheds when cleaning then… well, it isn’t a good brush lol. They shouldn’t do that. You should start to see all your makeup residue appear in the water and once that happens get some new water for maximum cleanliness. After you have done this twice it should be fairly clean, but I like to do it one more time with just water, no soap, to make sure that no soap is left in the brush. Ring out your brushes, fluff them back out to keep the shape, and then lay them on a towel to dry.

As you can see by the photos I chose my foundation brush to show you. The tips of the bristles are white originally, but when the brush is dirty it is the color of my foundation. You can really see the difference before and after cleaning.

I hope you guys liked this little how to and if you did make sure to check out ssin’s channel for the original video and other cool stuff. After you are done cleaning make sure you clean the strainer really well, or have one just for your brushes. I have a nail design for Valentine’s Day coming in a couple days, so look for that. Later tater

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firework Nails

Hello everyone! If you live in America then tomorrow is an exciting day for you, full of celebration. With that celebration comes amazing fireworks. So, without further a do here are my Independence Day firework nails. The polishes I used were Sally Hansen's "Co-balt Blue" (#320), "Red My Lips" (#470), "Silver Sweep" (#230), and "Grape Shifter" (#423), NYC's "French White Tip" (#134), and Blackheart Beauty's "Deep Sky Blue". I also used a nail dotter to create the fireworks. I started by painting the base colors on my nails, alternating the colors on each finger, and letting that dry. I chose to do my fireworks on the navy blue nails, but you can do them on the red or even on all the nails if you choose. For the fireworks I started with a dot for the center of the firework and added a red star there. Remember, the center of the firework does not have to be in the center of the nail (I only did that on one nai...

Miracle Gel Swatches

Hey guys! I know this post is late, but now that school has started back up all I ever do is homework. It's ridiculous I don't do anything anymore (not that I ever did lol). Anyway enough excuses. I did these swatches forever ago, like October of last year, so my memory of these colors are a distant memory. However, I didn't have a post planned so I thought I would show you these. The deep red color is "Wine Stock" (#480). I really like this color and it would be a great holiday nail color. However, because I love red nail polish, especially deep red, I will wear this whenever I want. As every other Miracle Gel polish I own, this is a great polish. I believe this was only one coat as well which is super cool. The other color is "All Chalked Up" (#230) and it is a pastel purple color. This color is very light-hearted and cute looking which I appreciate when it is dreary outside and I get sad. This is also a great Easter color (apparently I l...

Miracle Gel "Game of Chromes" Review

Hello everyone! I recently purchased another nail polish from Sally Hansen’s Miracle Gel collection called “Game of Chromes” (#510) and I thought I’d write a review for it today. Frist of all, the name is genius. Secondly, lol, the color is gorgeous. It is really shiny and when you move your fingers under the light it kind of looks like it switches between silver and gold, like a hologram or something. It is just a really nice color if you are looking for a solid nail design that isn't super boring. I also really liked the formula of the polish. It went on very smoothly (just like the others from the line did) and it was opaque with one coat. When I used the top coat (which you have to buy separately unless you get a kit and it’s expensive but whatever), it lasted a long time with no chips. It still isn’t chipped and I could keep it on, but I redo my nails every week lol. That is all for today, but you can check out my most recent YouTube video here, or look through...